Mineral Wells Index
By CLINT FOSTER
The Mineral Wells Fire Department took care of two fires that bookended last Friday, with one in the morning and one in the evening.
According to Mineral Wells Fire and Emergency Medical Services, the first was a transformer that caught ablaze in the 300 block of N.W. 25th Street, around 8 a.m. MWFD were able to put out the flames, but not before it caused a brief power outage, requiring a representative from Oncor Electric to report to the scene. Oncor Area Manager Ken Harriss said the fire was likely caused by a wild animal, possibly a squirrel or a bird, that got on top of the 100-amp voltage regulator and sparked a fire that burned one of the brushings on top. This would have then blown a line fuse that led to the power outage, he explained.
Harriss said the Oncor service man, who met the fire department around 8:30 a.m., was able to bypass the blown line fuse and get the area’s lights back on just before 9 a.m.
The second blaze was a grass fire on the eastern edge of the city, around 6:45 p.m. MWFD crews arrived on the scene at 8000 U.S. Highway 180 East to find flames in the bar ditch, which they were able to put out fairly quickly. According to Mineral Wells Fire and EMS, the MWFD did a full mop up before they cleared the scene.