Mineral Wells Index
By CLINT FOSTER
The Mineral Wells Volunteer Fire Department responded to a stove fire on Monday night at a home in the 1600 block of Old Millsap Highway.
MWVFD First Assistant Chief Lynn Reasoner said two fire trucks rolled on the incident around 9:30 p.m. A pot full of grease was accidentally left in the oven, which was then set to “self clean,” igniting the fire. Reasoner said the fire was contained to the stove, but it did burn the cabinets a bit.
He added the house sustained some smoke damage and water damage because a water line burned in the cabinet under the kitchen sink.
The homeowner, Cathy Glover, took full responsibility for forgetting about the pan in the oven. She said she was watching a movie with her family in the living room when the fire started. Her boyfriend, Jeff Russell, said he first noticed the smoke, herded the kids and animals out the door and ran back in to turn off the flaming oven. He then grabbed the fire extinguisher from Glover’s hair salon and twice attempted to fight the fire before the MWVFD got there, but it was too smokey.
“I figured it was the right thing to do,” he said.
Overall, Reasoner said the fire was nothing major and there were no injuries.
“They were real fortunate,” he said of the residents. “Our guys went in and knocked it down real quick. Everybody had gotten out. It wasn’t too bad.”
Although this stove fire may not have been particularly bad as a stand-alone incident, it was only the latest in a string of bad luck the residents of the property have endured.
Glover was at home with her family in February when a car crashed through her wall, leaving it temporarily uninhabitable.
The stove fire also marked the second blaze on Glover’s property. In 2006, a heater she bought from Walmart sparked a flame the day after she brought it home.
“I’ve got the worst luck ever,” she said.
When jokingly asked if her home sat on a burial ground, Glover said she did not think so, but she has found lots of arrowheads in the area.
Sometimes it feels like you just can’t catch a break, but hopefully, for Glover’s sake, her luck regarding her property takes a positive turn soon.