According to Mineral Wells police, two individuals were arrested Friday in connection to a residential burglary earlier that day.
A police spokesperson said the burglary occurred at a home in the 1300 block of S.E. 15th Street. The complainant reportedly hired a subcontractor to make repairs to the property who, in turn, hired a painter to handle additional projects.
Reports indicate the complainant returned home after the painter had been at the residence and noticed a collection of jewelry and a laptop computer were missing.
After conducting an initial investigation, officers reportedly located the painting subcontractor, Michael Shane Oksa, 42, of Mineral Wells, at an area hotel in the 100 block of Farm-to-Market Road 1821 North.
According to police sources, Oksa was with a female, Janet Marie Prescott, 34, of Mineral Wells, when police arrived. Officers were allowed access to search the room and reportedly found all but one of the items missing from the burglarized home.
Additionally, police discovered a white crystal-like substance believed to be methamphetamine at the location.
Both Oksa and Prescott were arrested at the scene and charged with theft between $1,500 and $20,000 and possession of a controlled substance less than 1 gram.
According to county records, bond was set at $15,000 for each of Oksa’s two charges. He was released on bond Sunday.
Prescott remained in custody as of Monday afternoon. Bond was set at $20,000 for each charge.
Police report weekend property crimes
According to Mineral Wells police, several property crimes were reported over the past weekend.
• Police received a vehicle burglary report Friday in the 1100 block of S.E. 20th Street. The complainant was reportedly awakened by an outside noise and went outside to investigate. Someone reportedly entered the resident’s unlocked vehicle and removed its stereo and DVD player.
• According to a debit card abuse report filed Friday, someone obtained a debit card from a local bank in the name of a deceased person. The card was used to make withdrawals resulting in the account becoming overdrawn.
• A theft report filed Saturday in the 1900 block of S.E. 10th Street indicates someone stole a bicycle from a carport at the location.
• Police received a theft report from a business in the 700 block of North Oak Street Saturday, indicating someone left the store with two cases of beer without paying for them.
• Someone tried to enter the back door of a business in the 1200 block of S.E. 1st street, according to a criminal mischief report filed Saturday. Reports indicate the door and copper air conditioning lines were damaged but no entry was made into the building.
• According to a burglary report filed Saturday in the 2500 block of N.E. 3rd Street, someone entered an uninhabited house at the location. The complainant reported checking on the structure and noticing a rear window air conditioning unit was pushed in and two fake cameras were missing from the property.
• Police received a burglary report Sunday in the 2000 block of S.E. 23rd Avenue. The complainant reported a hunting knife and global positioning device were taken from the vehicle.