About Sid W. Richardson and His Collection
Oil, cattle, and land formed the basis of Sid Richardson’s lifework, and the Sid Richardson Museum is part of his legacy. His love for western art grew out of his ranching experiences, which provided him with vivid impressions of the American west.
He acquired the majority of the paintings in the collection, numbering more than 100, between 1942 and 1950. He became an avid collector of the works of Remington and Russell because he thought they captured, better than any other artists, the vitality, color, and motion that he had always associated with the west.
Richardson once said, “Anybody can paint a horse on four legs, but it takes a real eye to paint them in violent motion. All parts of the horse must be in proper position, and Remington and Russell are the fellows who can do it.”
The Sid Richardson Museum’s permanent collection includes paintings of the 19th-century American west by Remington, Charles M. Russell (1864-1926) and other artists of the era, amassed by the legendary Texas oilman and philanthropist, Sid W. Richardson (1891-1959). It is considered one of the most significant private collections of Remington and Russell paintings in the U.S. Visitors from all 50 states and 68 countries have toured the museum since its opening in 1982.
In addition to 23 paintings by Remington and 52 paintings by Russell, the collection includes works by other “old masters” of western art: Oscar E. Berninghaus – a founding member of the Taos Society of Artists, Charles Schreyvogel, Frank Tenney Johnson, William R. Leigh, Edwin W. Deming, Gilbert Gaul, and Charles F. Browne. These artists captured the romance and ruggedness of the western United States in the late 1800s, a time when most Americans had little firsthand knowledge of the frontier.