Mineral Wells Index, Mineral Wells, TX

March 22, 2013

Runway lighting project moved along by council


Mineral Wells Index

— By CHRIS AGEE



Mineral Wells City Council members voted this week to execute a contract with the Texas Department of Transportation to upgrade runway lighting at the Mineral Wells Municipal Airport.

Last year, city staff set aside funds for the Fiscal Year 2012-13 budget to take part in the capital improvement program which would replace current lighting and install a new visual approach aid at the airport.

In December, council members voted to approve an intent resolution to participate in the project and TxDOT has since officially offered an initial contract to the city.

The contract voted on Tuesday only pertains to the design and engineering services required for the project, City Manager Lance Howerton explained.

He said that phase is estimated to cost about $140,000, noting the city is required to provide a 10-percent match of the engineering cost.

Following completion of the design phase, Howerton said a construction contract would be executed, provided TxDOT Aviation has available funds at the time.

He previously estimated the entire project would cost about $1.23 million, of which the city will be responsible for 10 percent. TxDOT Aviation will pick up the other 90 percent of the tab.

When completed, the project would make Mineral Wells home to one of the first municipal airports with light-emitting diodes illuminating its runway.



Permit fees waived for PPGH project



Palo Pinto General Hospital CEO Harris Brooks requested the city waive permit fees associated with the planned construction of a 30,000 square-foot facility on its existing campus.

In a letter to Howerton, Brooks wrote the new construction would contain between seven and nine physician offices, an in-house clinic facility, home health and hospice services.

The project, expected to begin in a few months, will consist of an approximately $8 million investment in the community, he explained.

Considering PPGH is a tax-supported institution and serves the public, Howerton recommended waiving about $10,000 in associated permit fees.

Mayor Pro Tem Margaret Hill Colton abstained from the vote and the remaining six council members voted to approve the request.



In other business, council members voted to:



• Reappoint Robert Watson as municipal court judge and Dr. Tom Tarkenton as the city's health authority.

• Reappoint Jim Irwin, Bill Eubanks, and Ed Weir to new airport advisory board terms expiring in 2015.

• Appoint Mike McConnell to the airport advisory board seat previously held by Pat Moe.

• Reappoint Virgil Youngblood, Larry Kauffman, Clif Wright, and Michael Eubank to new board of adjustment terms expiring in 2015.

• Reappoint Darlene Garrett, Nelda Glover, and Elizabeth O'Quin to new library advisory board terms expiring in 2016.

• Appoint Gayle Manskey and Jeri Calcote to unexpired library advisory board terms expiring in 2014 and 2016, respectively.

• Reappoint Rick Ashley, Mandy Edwards, Sharlet Evans, and Kathy Boswell to new parks and recreation advisory board terms expiring in 2015.

• Accept, with regrets, Jackie Harvey's resignation from the parks and recreation advisory board with no recommendation for his replacement.