Mineral Wells Index
By CLINT FOSTER
While the rest of the city was preparing, eating or digesting their turkey, Mineral Wells firefighters responded to three fires on and around Thanksgiving.
The first was a truck fire on the day before Thanksgiving, Nov. 27, just before 10 p.m.
The Mineral Wells Fire Department responded to the 900-block of Whatley Street where they found a Chevrolet S-10 extended cab with the hood up and smoke coming from the engine compartment.
MWFD said a bystander had put out most of the fire with a dry-chemical fire extinguisher, so that when firefighters arrived, the engine was merely smoldering.
To completely extinguish the fire, MWFD used a water extinguisher on the smoking engine.
Officials said the fire appears to have started near the truck’s battery.
On Thanksgiving, not long after noon, the Mineral Wells Volunteer Fire Department responded to a small grass fire in the 4800 block of South Keller Road. When the volunteers reached this blaze, it too had been mostly extinguished by the homeowner.
The next day, Nov. 29, the MWVFD rolled on a brush fire around 12:30 in the 200 block of Montgomery Road.
MWFD provided no further information and the Index could not reach a representative from the MWVFD who was in town for either grassfire after multiple attempts.