• A payment received by mail after a delinquency date will be considered timely if the post mark indicates it was mailed prior to the delinquency date.
• Make checks payable to ‘Linda Tuggle, Palo Pinto TAC.’
• A property owner or business owner is responsible for the payment of their property taxes, even if they never get a statement. Penalty and interest will not be dismissed because a statement was not delivered.
“If you have not received a tax statement for all taxable property you own by the end of October, please contact the tax office,” Tuggle advised. “We’ll be happy to mail, fax or email a copy to you.”
• For those who purchased property in 2013, the tax statement may have been mailed to the previous owner. Please contact the tax office and a copy will be provided. Additionally, Tuggle asks that new property owners advise the appraisal district office of the purchase.
• “If you receive a tax statement for taxes you don’t intend to pay because you sold the property, please return it to the tax office with the new owner’s name and contact information,” Tuggle asks former property owners. She added that they should also advise the appraisal district office of the change in ownership.
• A copy of a tax statement is provided to mortgage companies, if they request it. Property owners will receive a tax statement, even if the mortgage company has requested a copy. Tuggle said to deduct it this from the ‘grand total due,’ if the mortgage company is to pay the tax.
• For those who own the home they live in and are not receiving the benefit of a homestead exemption, Tuggle said to contact the Palo Pinto Appraisal Office at 940-659-1281. All exemption applications are processed by the appraisal office.
• If you are receiving the benefit of the ‘Over 65 Homestead Exemption,’ the ‘Disabled Homestead Exemption’ or a ‘Disabled Veteran’s Exemption’ on a property, you may extend the payment of those taxes by paying in four equal payments due by the last day of January, March, May and July, without any added penalty and interest. New legislation this year allowed the inclusion of Disabled Vets to this payment option.