By CLINT FOSTER
WEATHERFORD – Mineral Wells' city swim team, the Water Moccasins, were in action for the first time this summer, Friday in Weatherford, with great results.
Racing against teams from Burleson, Stephenville, Granbury and host city Weatherford, five Water Moccasins finished in first place in their respective events and seven other events saw Mineral Wells' swimmers finish in the top three.
Samantha Ashley had a tremendous day in the girls 11-to-12-year-old age group, highlighted by a first-place finish in the 50-yard backstroke with a time of 31.09 seconds. She also captured second in the 50-yard freestyle with a 26.22 mark.
In the boys 9-to-10-year-old age group, Case Proctor captured first in the 25-yard freestyle with a time of 16.08 seconds. Proctor also finished second in the 25-yard backstroke at 20.14 and fifth in the 50-yard freestyle at 28.86.
Head coach Matt Williams also left his mark in the water as the second Mineral Wells swimmer to finish first with a 26.42 time in the 50-yard backstroke for the mens 25-39 age group. Williams also came in second in the 100-yard individual medley with a 2:04.66 mark.
The father-daughter duo of Russell and Kennady Richards took home the Moccasins' final two gold finishes. In the age 40 and up division, the elder Richards finished first in the 100-yard freestyle just shy of a minute at 59.9 seconds. His 25.57 time was good enough for third in the 50-yard freestyle.
Competing in the girls 11-12 group, Kennady became the second girl to finish first for Mineral Wells in this young season with a 3:13.35 mark in the 100-yard individual medley.
The rest of the Mineral Wells swim team recorded the following finishes:
• Carsyn Proctor: sixth, 50-yard freestyle, 32.11; fifth, 25-yard freestyle, 16.81.
• Emma Samples: fifth, 50-yard freestyle, 31.4.
• Sara Cordova: sixth, 50-yard butterfly, 41.2.
• Paige Riney: fourth, 50-yard backstroke, 36.05; fifth, 50-yard freestyle, 27.34.
• Hannah Farber: third, 100-yard freestyle, 1:00.76; sixth, 50-yard freestyle, 27.45.
• Zach Samples: sixth, 100-yard freestyle, 1:08.14; sixth, 50-yard freestyle, 29.32; sixth, 50-yard backstroke, 39.48.
• Tony Fitch: second, 100-yard IM, 2:53.18; fifth, 50-yard backstroke, 35.18; sixth, 50-yard butterfly, 37.94.
• Spencer Stults: fifth, 50-yard backstroke, 31.98.
• Trent Pennington: fifth, 100-yard freestyle, 1:01.06.
• Hayden Michels: sixth, 100-yard freestyle, 1:10.24.
• Ryan Richards: third, 50-yard backstroke, 25.93; fourth, 100-yard IM, 2:17.29; sixth, 50-yard freestyle, 21.1.
The Water Moccasins will next take to the pool in Burleson, Saturday June 21.