“However, we have not had our (local chapter) rules meeting yet so it is really hard to comment on it from an officials standpoint and how as a group we are going to call it at this point.
“But I think the way we will call it is to look first to see if the defender is actually targeting the head. It will be a matter of if we think it is a target or not. But, like most personal foul penalties, it is subjective.”
Other UIL rules changes for the 2013-14 school year:
• Add a fourth playoff team advancing from each district in team sport activities in conferences 3A and 2A (in football, two teams will go to the Division I (large) school playoffs and two teams will go to the Division II (small) schools playoffs. In all other team sports the top four teams advance to the playoffs in the same playoff bracket).
• Modify penalty structure for coaches’ ejection.
• Reduce the number of tournaments or meets by one per season for all high school sports.
• Allow schools to substitute tournaments for games.
• Create a six-conference alignment by renaming the current conferences for the 2014-15 school year.
• Require parents and students to sign the new Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Form.
• Require cheerleaders and parents to sign the Concussion Acknowledgement form.
• Require cheerleading participants to follow Concussion Guidelines under Chapter 38, sub chapter D of the Texas Education Code.
• Require cheer coaches and sponsors to complete specific training related to safety guidelines for cheer.