Mineral Wells Index
By CLINT FOSTER
STRAWN – Last Thursday was a good day for the track teams of Gordon and Strawn at the District 17 and 18-1A Area Track Meet, hosted by the Greyhounds on Strawn's campus.
The rivals' girls and boys teams were neck and neck with Gordon besting their rivals in both instances. The two schools also combined to send a whopping 32 athletes on to the regional round of competition in Bullard in about a week and a half.
On the boys' side, the Gordon Longhorns finished second with 108 points, just four points ahead of third-place Strawn. Blum won the area meet with 158 points.
A key reason why the 'Horns were able to edge the 'Hounds in the final count was Gordon's five first-place finishes to Strawn's three.
The 'Horns captured wins in the 800 meters, 300-meter hurdles, 4x100-meter relay, 4x400-meter relay and shot put.
In the 800, it was Garrett Collins that took the gold for Gordon, posting a time of 2:15.14 to beat out fifth-place teammate Josh Engle, who finished in 2:23.37.
Xavier Castaneda played a role in three of Gordon's five first-place finishes, beginning with the 300-meter hurdles, which he won in 43.61. Also finishing in the regional-qualifying top four of that event was Strawn's Abram Jaramillo who was third with 44.81. Gordon's Jeremy Jorgensen came in sixth with 47.82.
Castaneda joined Jacob Wigington, Caleb Johnston and Seth Wheeler to win the 4x100 relay in 45.74. Later, Castaneda and Wheeler traded Wigington and Johnston for Collins and Chase Coffman to win the 4x400 relay in 3:40.92.
In both relays, Strawn finished fourth – as well as in the 4x200-meter relay in which Gordon did not compete.
In the 4x100, Strawn ran Grayson Brandenburg, Harrison Nowak, Xavier Olivo and Tyler Bays who posted a time of 48.06. Olivo then ran with Anthony Garcia, Jerardo Hernandez and Jacob Trujillo in the 4x400 with a time of 4:02.95.
Finally, Olivo and Brandenburg joined Nic Miller and Sebastian Berumen in the 4x200 relay, which they finished in 1:43.63.
Johnston got Gordon's fifth win in the shot put, tossing his weight 40 feet and 11.5 inches. He beat Strawn's Chase Mackey, who placed third with a 38-foot-10.25 throw, and Gordon's Coffman, who placed sixth with a 37-foot-0.75 toss.
Strawn's three wins came in the discus, high jump and pole vault.
Ross Alison won the discus with a 140-foot-10 throw to edge out second-place teammate Marcus Lopez – who threw 130 feet and 9.75 inches. Also competing in that event were Mackey, who took fourth for Strawn with a 110-foot-10.75 toss, and Gordon's Twister Brown, who finished just outside regional qualification at fifth with a 108-foot-10.75 hurl.
Jaramillo won the high jump for Strawn with his jump of 5 feet and 10 inches. Tied at fifth were Collins for Gordon and Nowak for Strawn with 5-foot-6 jumps.
Strawn swept the podium in pole vault, as Bays won with a 12-foot flop, Miller finished second with 10 feet and Olivo was third with an 8-foot vault.
For the girls, Gordon took fourth overall with 86 points, while Strawn finished fifth as a team with 60 points.Gordon and Strawn each got one individual gold medal in the area meet.
For the Lady Horns, it was Tristan Johnson, who won the 100-meter hurdles in 17.98. Johnson beat teammate Peyton Witt, who still qualified for regionals with a fourth-place time of 19.9.
Strawn's golden girl was Jayde Price, who won the discus with a 91-foot-8.25 throw. Price edged out Johnson, whose 91-foot-1 toss was good enough for silver in the event. Strawn's Anna Ramos and Jacqueline Berumen rounded out the top four with throws of 89-foot-10.75 and 88-foot-11, respectively, to make discus an exclusively Gordon/Strawn-ruled event.
The following additional results were posted by Gordon and Strawn thinclads, with athletes in the top four of each event advancing to regionals.
• 100 meters: fourth – Grayson Brandenburg (Strawn) – 11.72; sixth – Jacob Wigington (Gordon) – 11.92.
• 200 meters: third – Caleb johnston (Gordon) – 23.7; sixth – Chase Coffman (Gordon) – 24.65.
• 400 meters: second – Seth Wheeler (Gordon) – 54.27; fifth – Josh Engle (Gordon) – 58.59.
• 1600 meters: third – Tyler Reed (Gordon) – 5:28.46.
• 3200 meters: fifth – Tyler Reed (Gordon) – 12:12.86; sixth – Tyler Ross (Strawn) – 12:26.94.
• 110-meter hurdles: third – Abram Jaramillo (Strawn) – 17.49.
• Long jump: fourth – Garrett Collins (Gordon) – 19-foot-3.75.
• Triple jump: sixth – Seth Wheeler (Gordon) – 38-foot-5.25.
• 100 meters: second – Kallie Ginn (Gordon) – 13.67; sixth – Lindsey Crudgington (Gordon) – 14.76.
• 200 meters: second – Tannah Kellaher (Gordon) – 28.82.
• 400 meters: second – Shelly Abbot (Strawn) – 1:05.52.
• 800 meters: second – Shelly Abbot (Strawn) – 2:42.05.
• 1600 meters: fourth – Cidney Pollock (Strawn) – 6:51.26.
• 3200 meters: second – Cidney Pollock (Strawn) – 15:10.34.
• 300-meter hurdles: fourth – Tristan Johnson (Gordon) – 54.35; sixth – Peyton Witt (Gordon) – 58.89.
• 4x100-meter relay: third – Kallie Ginn, Tistan Johnson, Lindsey Crudgington and Tannah Kellaher (Gordon) – 55.94.
• 4x200-meter relay: third – Kallie Ginn, Lindsey Crudgington, Peyton Witt and Tannah Kellaher (Gordon) – 2:01.66; fifth – Sanjuana Lopez, Cori Pollock, Tearany Atkins and Shelly Abbot (Strawn) – 2:05.22.
• 4x400-meter relay: fifth – Chelsea Mowles, Hallie Horton, McKenna Maples and Perla Hernandez (Gordon) – 5:15.51.
• Shot put: second – Tristan Johnson (Gordon) – 31-foot-2.
• Triple jump: fifth – Lindsey Crudgington (Gordon) – 30-foot-0.75.
• High jump: fourth – Tannah Kellaher (Gordon) – 4-foot-4.
• Pole vault : second – Railey Mallory (Strawn) – 5-foot-6.