The Index welcomes letters to the editor on a variety of topics. We reserve the right to edit letters for style, grammar and taste. Letters should be concise and to the point. They must be signed and include the author’s address and phone number for verification. We will accept only original letters – no form letters. Letters that do not conform to this policy will not be published. Deadline for submitting letters for Sunday publication is 5 p.m. Wednesday, or via e-mail by noon Thursday. Submissions may be dropped-off, mailed, faxed or sent electronically to email@example.com.
Proud to be a liberal?
In response to the letter published July 8, “Proud to be a Liberal,” I have to wonder ... why?
Of course, in this wonderful country of ours, you have the right to be anything you want to be but most liberals would like to see all of our traditional values and customs done away with. They have been heavily involved in:
• Removing God from schools and our communities.
• Providing sex education for children as young as kindergarten.
• Giving out condoms and advice about abortions to high school students without parental knowledge or permission.
• Removing the Ten Commandments from our courts.
• Trying to make churches provide insurance that covers contraceptives and abortions to employees against their wishes.
• Trying to stop some states from requiring photo identification to vote when everyone must show photo ID for going to a doctor, having lab work, buying cigarettes and liquor, etc.
• Approving same sex marriages and civil unions.
• Insisting on more and more social programs and “giveaways” that are nearly bankrupting the states and our country.
• And many other things that are changing our values.
Conservatives are trying to preserve these traditional values and customs while encouraging self determination in our people, helping to build pride in themselves and the country, providing a good living for their families, and caring for the poor, sick and elderly and helping them to live a fruitful life while maintaining their dignity. These are the things that made our country great in the past and will keep it great in the future.
Floyd C. Hill, MSGT/USAF/retired
Native of Mineral Wells and former resident