We currently have three bonds we are paying at a staggering cost of $33 million that will be paid off in 2032 and 2037. The current bond proposal would be paid in 2044. This school board and district want to add another $25 million? How many people have lost their jobs, have had their hours reduced or don’t even have a job? You are asking more than what the people of Mineral Wells have to give. Almost every tax that a homeowner is paying on has gone up this year. It’s time to say NO. Make a stand; we can’t afford this.
Vote ‘no’ on the bond
TO THE EDITOR,
As a grandmother of four, an RN who worked as the school nurse in a handicapped preschool, and who currently does private duty for a young girl who survived cancer, only to be debilitated by several massive strokes, I consider the children our future, and think they should have an education that will allow them to become the best they can be.
I attended the meeting for the current bond election at the Mineral Wells Senior Center last week. What a lively and enlightening meeting that was!
1. This is a “ bricks-and-mortar “ bond. Not one cent goes to educating the children.
2. Are not problems in the districts’ facilities addressed immediately, instead of waiting for things to get so bad that a bond must be voted on for the repairs?
3. The county taxes have gone up, the town’s taxes have gone up, the water taxes have gone up, just about everything else, with no end in sight.
4. Are not the voters STILL paying off several other bonds on the high school, stadium and other schools?
5. Have not the people of Mineral Wells paid enough out of pocket already?