“They weren’t in any danger,” Pool said. “If we had a shift of wind, we might have had to extend the evacuation, but everything went smoothly. We wanted to make sure we did all we needed to do to keep everyone safe.”
Sullivan said favorable atmospheric conditions meant the natural gas was mostly contained and presented no real danger.
“Natural gas is different than some of the propane concerns,” he explained. “Propane is a heavier gas and sits lower to the ground.
“This compressed natural gas tends to rise up. With favorable atmospheric conditions present, (Pool) decided there was no immediate threat (of explosions) to school.”
Meanwhile, the gas company arrived around 8 a.m. and spent the rest of the morning trying to repair the gas line and restore service to affected residences.
The gas line had to be repaired before Public Works could get back on the job of fixing the water main which resulted in a lot of affected homes in the area.
Jones said he was not sure exactly how many people were affected by the loss of gas or water. However, he, Sullivan and Pool all confirmed there were no injuries or fatalities as a result of the broken gas line.