Tips to prevent auto theft, burglary:
• Keep CDs, books, clothes and other personal belongings out of sight. Do not leave behind valuables, such as cell phones, laptops, instruments, purses or wallets.
• Stop idling. Whether you’re “warming up” your vehicle or making a quick trip inside the gas station, running vehicles left unattended become tempting targets for thieves.
• Don’t leave loose change in the console or cup holder. Thieves may break into your vehicle for a small amount of change.
• Store your garage door opener in your glove compartment or take it with you. Garage door openers allow access into your home. Thieves can use left-behind mail or an insurance card to learn your address.
• Ask valets and auto repair shops to not leave the keys in your vehicle if it will be unattended.
• Always keep your keys with you — never leave them in the vehicle.
• Lock your vehicle.
• Park in well-lit, high-traffic areas, and use a car alarm if possible.