Mineral Wells Index
By CLINT FOSTER
The Mineral Wells Police Department arrested three suspected thieves in as many days last week, one of which came after a brief chase.
The most recent arrest, which concluded a brief foot chase, occurred around 2 a.m., Friday.
MWPD was dispatched to Walmart in reference to a theft in which a man passed the point of sale without paying and did not stop when questioned by the store’s loss-prevention officers.
According to the MWPD case narrative, police found Brandon Shane Barton, 36, walking through the Walgreens parking lot on Farm-to-Market Road 1821 with the items reported stolen.
Police stopped Barton and asked if he had a receipt for all of the items in his possession.
Insisting that he had a receipt, police said Barton produced a small, faded piece of paper.
The rub was, according to the narrative, Barton’s receipt was dated Jan. 4, 2014 – almost two weeks prior.
Police informed Barton that he was under arrest for theft, at which point he turned tail and ran east, across FM 1821 and into the Deluxe Inn.
Police said they chased him into the building and found him on the second floor, where he was staying the night with a woman who apparently had a protective order against him.
Police arrested Barton for evading arrest, theft of property between $500 and $1,500 and violating a protective order.
After being booked in at Mineral Wells City Jail, he was later transported to Palo Pinto County Jail.
The other two arrests stemmed from an incident at around 4 a.m., Jan. 13. Police received a call the following day concerning a theft at an E-Z Mart in the 700 block of SE 25th Avenue.
After reviewing surveillance video with the store manager, police said they saw a man and woman stealing oil cans and stuffing them into the man’s jacket before going outside and stealing one of the gas station’s trash cans sitting by a fuel pump.
Police said they immediately identified the man as 41-year-old Amaro A. Gonzales, but it took some investigation to peg the woman as 32-year-old Billie R. Smith.
MWPD traced Smith to an apartment in the 2500 block of SE Martin Luther King Jr. Street, where she was arrested for theft of property between $50 and $500 on the afternoon of Jan. 15.
Police said they later discovered Smith had an outstanding warrant from New Mexico for a probation violation.
Police said Gonzales was arrested the next day, Jan. 16, also for theft of property between $50 and $500.
MWPD reported the following additional arrests between Jan. 15 and 20:
• David Horn, 21, was arrested Thursday for assault on a family/household member by impeding breath or circulation.
• Jason Meeks, 42, was arrested Friday for a Class C warrant.
• Tracy Francois, 18, was arrested Saturday for public intoxication.
• Joshua Lackey, 21, was arrested Saturday for disorderly conduct (public intoxication).
• Shenna Reeves, 23, was arrested Sunday for a Class C warrant.
• Raul Yanez, 38, was arrested Sunday for public intoxication.
• Jose Yanez, 32, was arrested Sunday for public intoxication.
• Kevin Kincheloe, 24, was arrested Sunday for a Class C warrant.
• Scott Lynch, 19, was arrested Sunday for a felony warrant.
• Carl Barnett, 26, was arrested Monday for theft of property between $50 and $500.