By TYLER MASK
Nearly a decade ago, one woman with the backing of her church saw a need in Mineral Wells to aide women pregnant or with young children. Since then, the desire to serve the community has grown.
Cocoon Pregnancy Resource Center was founded in 2005 by Christy Dorr inside a donated building on Old Fort Wolters in Mineral Wells. The original vision was to have a place where women in need could stay with their children.
CPRC has always been a mission of Leaning Tree Church, which has recently been renamed Grace Church of Minerals Wells – new signage to come.
Eventually, CPRC moved from the base to the church, located at 2530 Millsap Highway, Mineral Wells, Texas 76067, where it currently resides in its own building, a project born out of a generous donation in 2012.
Although Dorr moved on a few years ago, the mission and the vision of CPRC has not changed, and the church has found solid leadership in its current director, Jill Bomstad.
“Cocoon plays a unique role in our community by assisting pregnant women with free pregnancy tests for Medicaid verification,” Bomstad said. “We further aid families by providing maternity clothes, diapers, wipes, baby hygiene products, clothing, formula, baby food, bottles, car seats and other baby items such as swings, strollers, bassinets [and] bouncers. We are different than other pregnancy centers because we continue to support our families.”
Services provided include:
• Free pregnancy test and verification for Medicaid.
• Educational resources regarding pregnancy, abortion and alternatives.
• Educational resources regarding sexually transmitted diseases.
• Maternity and baby clothing.
• Diapers, items and furniture.
• Referrals for medical care, legal assistance, childbirth classes, adoption and foster care, continuing education and social services.
• Post-abortion support and counseling.
• Christian parenting classes.
CPRC is under the covering of the church, which is a 501c3 entity, so the pregnancy center, which considers itself pro-life, is technically an outreach of the church. Because of this, CPRC also ministers to its clients.