By CHRIS AGEE
Following an unusually brief agenda earlier this month, Mineral Wells City Council members tonight will conduct eight public hearings in addition to considering action on a number of other items.
The hearings, giving locals an opportunity to speak to city leaders in favor of or against pending issues, include the following:
Local teen club
After receiving the recommendation of the Planning and Zoning Commission following a public hearing April 1, the council will hold a separate hearing tonight regarding applicants for Venue 2:17. The club for teens recently opened at 212 S.E. 1st Avenue.
In compliance with the city's zoning ordinance, applicant Brenda Stewart and owner Mike Mearse submitted an application for a specific use permit – with the intent of operating an amusement center/teen club – last month. Tonight's hearing will be the last step before Stewart and Mearse can be granted authorization of specific use.
Oilfield services company
According to an application filed with the city last October, applicants Ada Kelleher and Wrench Runner Inc. are seeking a specific use permit to operate an oilfield service company located at 1704 Municipal Highway 379.
The Planning and Zoning Commission held its public hearing April 1 and recommends issuance of the permit.
Upon the completion of another public hearing at tonight's meeting, council members will consider voting to grant the permit pursuant to applicable conditions and requirements.
Additional public hearings related to this item include:
• Final plat of Lot 1, Block 1 of the Kelleher Addition.
• Request for a change in zoning on Lot 1, Block 1 of the Kelleher Addition from single family to commercial.
Undeveloped Altamont roads
In response to a request from applicant Betty Meyers, council will host a public hearing tonight regarding the abandonment of platted streets in the Altamond addition of Mineral Wells.
The list of undeveloped road segments includes portions of N.E. 7th, 8th and 9th Avenues and N.E. 11th Street.
As the owner of adjacent blocks, Meyers petitioned the city council for closure and abandonment of the roadways and council members will consider the request following the hearing.
Additional public hearings set for tonight include:
• Request for a specific use permit to construct a "dwelling, guesthouse" as defined by the city's zoning ordinance in a single-family zoning district located at 1200 N.E. 10th Street.
• Request for a 5-foot variance from the city's subdivision ordinance to expand a driveway and its approach to 29 feet in width at a residence located at 1801 S.E. 9th St.
• Final plat for Lot 1, Block 1 of the Distributed Generation Solutions LLC Addition.
The council will hold its regular meeting tonight at 6:30 p.m. at the City Hall Annex, 115 S.W. 1st St.