When asked by President Joe Ruelas, Barron explained that they have to present their findings in front of their class and said it has pushed her because, “I used to hide behind my teachers.”
Principal Kelly Wilkerson said this is a new elective for seventh graders. She added that it “adds diversity to the electives and it's the most popular class.”
In other business last week, MWISD trustees recognized the local Alpha Delta Kappa teacher sorority and Mineral Wells Classroom Teachers Association as the district’s October Partners in Education. Each year ADK provides scholarships for seniors, as well as raising funds for other entities. The local TCTA also provides student and teacher scholarships and sends representatives to summer leadership workshops and to the state convention.
• President's report, including: Ram Stadium hospitality deck guests and the 2013 Texas Association of School Administrators and Texas Association of School Boards Convention.
• Superintendent's report, including: enrollment comparison for Sept. 30, school improvement process for Mineral Wells Academy and Advanced-placement testing/ACT results/SAT results.
• Consent Agenda Items, including: Monthly Financial Reports and Accounts Payable Listing, Water/Electricity/Gas Reports, Annual Investment Report/Resolution, Transportation Mileage Report for September 2013, District Textbook Adoption Committee, 2013-2014 School Resource Officer Agreement and Minutes of the September 10, 2013 meeting of the Board
• ESC Region XI Services Report - Dr. Robert Steeber, Deputy Executive Director of Administrative Operations
Presenter: Dr. Gail G. Haterius, Superintendent
• Consider Targeted Assistance Improvement Plan for the Mineral Wells Academy
Presenter: Doug Rice, Mineral Wells Academy Principal
• Approve School Health Advisory Council Members
Presenter: Wanda Voelcker, MWISD Head Nurse/Houston Elementary School Nurse
• Calendars for October and November