Mineral Wells Index, Mineral Wells, TX

October 24, 2013

Drive by shootings: fact, fiction?

Mineral Wells Index


Citizens of Mineral Wells were victims of two drive-by shootings, one of which was real and the other fabricated, according to Mineral Wells police.

The real drive by occurred during Monday night around 11:30 p.m. at a residence on Ann Road. Police said the residents were in their backyard when they heard popping and shattering glass. By the time they ran out to the front of the house, the culprits were gone, leaving only broken windows and body damage to three vehicles: a 2004 BMW, a 2001 BMW and a 2005 Chrysler 300.

Estimated damage to the vehicles was $1,800 to the 2004 BMW, $1,000 to the 2001 BMW and $800 to the Chrysler – totaling a rather large criminal mischief charge. One officer believes, based on the damage, that the suspects used a CO2-powered pellet gun.

There was a similar shooting Monday night in the 1500 block of S.W. 5th Avenue, in which a window was shot out of a residence’s front screen door and two bullet holes were also left in the side of the house. Police are unsure whether these two incidents are related, but said they do have a lead in the case of the three cars.

As for the possibly fictional drive by, police said they received a call Sunday night about a man who claimed he was walking west of State Highway 337, when a black four-door pickup with four “Hispanics” pulled up next to him and opened fire with a 22-caliber rifle with a scope. Police said the man claimed several shots were fired and two hit his leg.

Police said the man claimed to find a paper towel in the bar ditch, which he used as a tourniquet, and he walked to Palo Pinto General Hospital, arriving around 1 a.m.

Upon further investigation, the self-reported victim’s story seemed to have some holes, other than the two wounds in his leg. First, police said it was unlikely he found a dry paper towel in the bar ditch, primarily because the ground was particularly wet that night. Furthermore, a look at the hospital’s security camera showed that the man was dropped off from a white vehicle, thus not having made the trek on foot, police said.

Police said after multiple attempts by a detective to meet with him and discuss the incident, the man never responded.