By CLINT FOSTER
Mineral Wells firefighters responded to two calls over a relatively quiet weekend for emergency calls in the county.
First, the Mineral Wells Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call for mutual aid to a structure fire on Thursday night in Oran – northeast of Graford on State Highway 52.
When First Assistant Fire Chief Lynn Reasoner reached the burning home in the 1700 block of Main Street around 9 p.m., he found that the flames were largely under control.
He said he then told the MWVFD tanker that was en route to turn around and head back to Mineral Wells.
Graford Volunteer Fire Department took point on the house fire with Possum Kingdom East VVFD and County Fire Marshal Buddy Harwell also providing assistance.
Harwell said it was an electrical fire that started in the ceiling above one of the light fixtures. He added the flames were mostly contained to the front living room with some creeping into the attic. But he said it was not anything exceptionally hard to handle.
“Graford got there pretty quick and got it put out,” he said. “Most of the home inside and all their stuff was saved. It turned out really well.”
A few days later, on Sunday night, Mineral Wells firefighters were called to another incident in city limits that had the potential of another electrical fire. According to Mineral Wells Fire/Emergency Medical Services, occupants of a home in the 2000 block of South Oak Avenue said they smelled electric smoke inside their house around 10:30 p.m.
Residents told firefighters an outlet had shorter earlier that day and they had been trying to trace electrical circuits in their rental property.
According to MW Fire/EMS, the occupants said they did not feel safe there would not be further problems over night.
Firefighters advised that the occupants leave their breaker for the affected circuit off and notify the landlord to have the electricity checked and repaired. Firefighters also supplied two smoke detectors for the home, which previously had none.
Harwell said it is always important to have smoke detectors in your home and make sure to change their batteries and make sure they are working.
He also said, with the weather getting colder, it’s important to never leave a space heater on and unattended, as they can frequently cause electrical fires.
“Turn them out when you go out,” he said. “Never leave a space heater unattended.”