Mineral Wells Index, Mineral Wells, TX

April 9, 2014

Two arrested on multiple charges, including evading arrest

Mineral Wells Index


Two people were arrested and jailed Monday, April 6, after Mineral Wells Police responded to a call from an area bank in the 1900 block of East Hubbard Street regarding an individual trying to pass a false check.

A police investigation led to one man being arrested on forgery, drug and firearms charges and a woman arrested on forgery charges.

Stormy Shires, 29, was released Tuesday on $25,000 bond from Palo Pinto County Jail on charges of forgery of a financial instrument.

Christopher Stults, 39, remained in custody at the Mineral Wells Police Department Tuesday afternoon but would be transferred to Palo Pinto County Jail Tuesday night, a police spokesman said. Stults is charged with possession of a controlled substance between 1 and 4 grams, evading arrest, forgery, unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, theft of firearms and a parole warrant.

Around noon Monday, a bank manager reported to police that two people in a red Ford Explorer were trying to cash a false check, the spokesman said, and police went to investigate.

When the investigating officer arrived at the bank and questioned Shires and Stults about the check, the officer discovered Stults had a parole warrant for his arrest, a police narrative reads. Stults reportedly resisted arrest and fled on foot.

The officer chased Stults on foot for about a block, according to the report, before apprehending him in the 2000 block of N.E. 2nd Street. Stults was taken into custody and transported to the police department.

The investigating officer then returned to the scene and during an inventory of the vehicle discovered a loaded .22 caliber pistol in the glove box, the narrative reads. The officer discovered that the gun had been stolen from Stults' father.

As the officer continued his search of the SUV, he found a backpack in the rear of the vehicle with 3.2 grams of methamphetamine, the report states.

The City County Narcotics Unit was called to the police department and all narcotics and paraphernalia were turned over to them, according to the police report.