“So, we gave him the medicine – he slept almost all day Sunday,” Ann said. “When he finally woke up, he was crying and pulling his hair, saying I’d rather die than go through this pain.”
At that point, Ann called the nurse practitioner who, in turn, directed them straight to the emergency room.
The next discovery would be something that would forever change Jacob’s life. The cause of Jacob’s pain? A tumor doctors would come to find measuring 39.81 millimeters in diameter.
Jacob was immediately shipped to Cook Children’s Medical Center for more testing.
“They shipped us over to [Cook Children’s Medical Center] that morning,” Ann said. “It was like 2 a.m. in the morning.”
The doctors decided to implant a shunt to alleviate pressure from fluid build, which was ultimately the cause of his headaches. Although Jacob felt some relief, doctors were faced with another problem. The location of Jacob’s tumor was inoperable being that it resided in too close of a proximity to his eye.
“[The doctors] said it would cause more damage to him than what it would be worth to find out what it really was,” Ann said.
Even now, doctors don’t know whether or not Jacob’s tumor is benign or malignant.
“They are just treating it to what they think it is,” Ann said. “They are 95 percent sure they know what it is. They don’t know. I am just like, what if the other 5 percent is really what it is? [I] just can’t wrap my mind around it.”
The tumor will never go away. All doctors can do is treat it to keep it from growing.
After the shunt was installed, Jacob got to go home for a few days before returning to the doctor to hear what the treatment options were. They were given three options: to leave it alone, undergo chemotherapy or undergo radiation treatment.