By CHRIS AGEE
Kids of all ages braved the heat Friday morning for a unique outdoor event at Boyce Ditto Library.
The Pep Rally for Reading marked its summer reading program, which features a variety of entertaining activities meant to encourage young people’s interest in books.
Mineral Wells High School cheerleaders – joined by its recognizable mascot – pumped up the crowd with high-energy cheers and games that got the crowd involved in the action.
J.J. the Clown was on hand to make balloon animals and generally engage in hijinks. He was joined by Pogo, a stilt walker whose towering height was a reliable topic of interest.
Friday’s rally was just the beginning of events planned by the library.
In addition to the ages 13 and up Anime Day, Saturday, the following events and activities are scheduled for coming weeks:
• June 19 at 2 p.m. – Bento Box Workshop; teen through adult.
• June 20 at 5 p.m. – An Evening in the Garden at Clark Gardens; all ages.
• June 21 at 10:30 a.m. – Mad Science; kids.
• June 28 at 10:30 a.m. – Critterman; kids.
• June 29 at 7 p.m. – Teen Murder Mystery Dinner; teens. Due to limited seating, advance sign-up is required for this event.
• July 3 at 2 p.m. – Duct Tape Madness; all ages.
• July 5 at 10:30 a.m. – Whirled on a String; kids.
• July 9 at 5:30 p.m. – Open Mic Night; all ages.
• July 10 at 2 p.m. – Art Hour; kids.
• July 12 at 10:30 a.m. – James Wand, Secret Agent Spy Show; kids.
• July 13 a.m. 7 p.m. – Adult Murder Mystery Dinner; adults. Due to limited seating, advance sign-up is required for this event.
• July 17 at 2 p.m. – Teen Game Day; teens.
• July 18 at 10:30 a.m. – Last Incentive Day for Kids.
• July 19 at 10:30 a.m. – Zooniversity.
• July 20 at 10 a.m. – Anime Day; ages 13 and up.
• July 27 at 10:30 a.m. – Kid’s Summer Ending Celebration at Lamar Elementary Cafeteria featuring a performance by Snake Encounters, reader recognition, and a prize giveaway.
• Aug. 1 – Last day for teens and adults to turn in reading logs.
• Aug. 2 at 4:30 p.m. – Teen and adult summer ending concert at prize drawing.
For more information on the summer reading program, contact Boyce Ditto Library at (940) 328-7880.