She said her husband’s parents, Jerry and Bernice Booth, were killed in a house fire Sept. 20, 1991. On Monday, she showed some blackened glassware in their living room, which were the only items that survived that fatal fire.
Booth attributed the alarm system to allowing them to act quickly. She said they bought a relatively expensive system that has smoke detectors, as well as “big bell system heat alarms in each room.
“Less than two weeks ago we remodeled the bathroom,” she said, adding that the faucets are supposed to arrive in a few days.
Booth pointed to a twisted, burned freezer door. She said they had just filled their freezer with meat, recently purchased from Costco, and “the firefighter said, ‘When I pulled off the door [the meat] was already cooked and looked like barbecue.”
Index reporter Chris Agee contributed to this article.