Filings for open seats on local city councils and school boards with May elections begins today. Filings for local seats ends Feb. 14.
Three seats on Mineral Wells City Council are up in May – mayor and the ward 1 and 3 seats.
The mayor's seat is currently held by Christopher Perricone, who is also a candidate running on the March Republican party primary for the open Texas House District 60 seat. Perricone can also file for re-election to the mayor's seat.
Current At-Large, Place 2 City Councilman Regan Johnson has announced her intentions to run for mayor on the May ballot, receiving the backing of the Mineral Wells Tomorrow PAC.
Two years ago saw five people run for mayor after the announcement that previous longtime councilman and mayor Mike Allen would step down.
Pastor Jerrel Tomlin currently occupies the Ward 1 seat and Beth Watson holds the Ward 3 seat, and both are expected to seek re-election. The Ward 1 seat represents essentially southeast Mineral Wells, while the Ward 3 seat represents the city's northwest quadrant.
Information on filing, or those wanting to pick up a candidate's packet to run for city council can do so at the City Clerk's office in the City Hall Annex, 115 S.W. 1st St.
Two seats on the Mineral Wells ISD school board have terms up in May. They are the seats currently held by Lauretta Poole and board President Maria Jones. Persons wishing to run for school board can obtain information and file at the MWISD District Services Complex at 906 S.W. 5th Avenue.
• City of Millsap mayor and two aldermen: These spots are currently occupied by Mayor Jaime French, Alderman Teresa Howard and Alderman Stella Casey.
• Millsap ISD board of trustees: Three spots, currently held by Vice President Mike Burton, Trustee Morgan Williams and Trustee Allen Williams, on MISD’s school board are available for candidate filings.
• City of Graford has the mayor and two at-large seats with terms ending in May. The current mayor is Carl Walston and the council members up for election are Wesley Bloxham Eddie Nowak. Persons wishing to file can do so at Graford City Hall, 424 E. Lee Avenue, or call 940-664-2125 for more information.
• City of Strawn has seats of Mayor Omer Mallory and aldermen Delane Abbott and Brenda Orsini up for election. Persons wishing to file can do so at Strawn City Hall, 118 Housley Street, or call 940-664-2125 for more information.
• Graford ISD has two at-large school board members up for election, Lonnie Dixon and Rowdy Glover. Anyone interested in running can file at the GISD administration office at 619 West Division Street, Graford, TX 76449 and pick up an application. For more information call 940-664-3101.
• Strawn ISD has three places up election in May. They are for Place 1 held by Mindy Hodgkins, Place 3 held by Jim Pollock and Place 7 held by Brad Couger. They are three-year terms. Persons wishing to file as a candidate can do so at the SISD administrative offices at 224 East Walnut Street, or call 254-672-5662 for more information.